The Haul: September 2021

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by IAmTheJody, Aug 31, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brit

brit in a box

2. jay_gatz

jay_gatz Well-Known Member

Is that essentially the same razor that when cased, would be called a "Milord" set?

brit likes this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

no sir. it was from this set..:)
    1953 (Y3 on blade) Gold Rocket Canadian Set.jpeg

jimjo1031, Enrico, Tedolph and 4 others like this.
  4. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

brit likes this.
  5. Aztecmike

Aztecmike George

Sweet rocket Gary! The gold wash looks very well preserved. Congrats! :happy088:

brit likes this.
  6. Aztecmike

Aztecmike George

My A&E Which One's Pink arrived last night so I took it for a spin today. I'm no good with describing fragrances so I will just say YUM and the post shave face feel is great. Plus the Mrs. approved :)
    20210910_141850.jpg

7. brit

brit in a box

thank you Mike,but the doors are rough.thankfully these razors are nickel plate underneath.if i get tired of looking at it i'll remove the wash..;):eatdrink047:

Aztecmike likes this.
  8. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

IAmTheJody likes this.
  9. jay_gatz

I think the shovel head. The blade exposure is unlike anything I have ever seen. I need to wrap my other test run with the Micromatic for another thread, so probably Sunday or Monday.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

hmnn.:D:eatdrink047:

Aztecmike likes this.
  11. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Milord sets only came with gold washed USA made Gillette razors.

Aztecmike and brit like this.
  12. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Either that set is a mismatch or they switched back to British razors in Canadian Rocket sets after 52. I've never seen any evidence that they did but at the same time I've never seen or owned a Super Speed styled Canadian Rocket with a date code on it later than 1952 and do know for sure the Canadian Rocket sets were sold until 1956. Possibility is there but definitive proof yet to be determined.

brit likes this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

i had and sold my mint set..bought here locally as well.:)..seen a few here..

Aztecmike and Enrico like this.
  14. brit

brit in a box

i've also heard that England supplied razors to canada during 48-55 as well as u.s built/canadain market models.techs excluded until 55.just not advertised..

15. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I have no doubt that razor was sold in Canada, I've seen enough of them on ebay out of Canada that the probability is highly unlikely they are all collector pieces that people imported into razor dens. What I don't know is what set they would have been packaged with when they were sold in Canada originally. That razor and I can state with 100% certainty would have not been in any Canadian Rocket set prior to 52. The Regular and Deluxe sets had 2 distinct prices and the regular set price was constant from 49 - 56. You don't see any sets priced higher earlier than 52 so they was no gold plated option prior to then. They didn't offer a Deluxe option with the gold plated razor until 52 and that was after they stopped offering those sets British made razors. Which means if they were indeed packaged as a Rocket in Canada the only case it could have been packaged with was those blue styrene cases that they started using for the sets in 52 until 56.

More digging is needed and if it is indeed the case I need to update my Canadian Rocket thread.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
    brit likes this.
  16. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

Saturday’s mail call is from Phoenix Shaving, it’s their newly released wooden blade stash box. It’s a beautiful box that can hold around 300 blades in their packets or more. 0B9A1762-12F6-4B75-B6B4-9F413A1FD22F.jpeg 21252125-3624-48A3-8028-2497BB21CFE4.jpeg

brit, Aztecmike, jimjo1031 and 6 others like this.
  17. jay_gatz

I was being overly general with my question. That's a Gold Plated Superspeed. 46-47 Milord were gold plated Super Speeds I believe. Pre War were Gold plated Ranger Techs. I fully understand that there are differences between US made and British made Superspeeds, so sorry my my vagueness. Although in my defense, I did say "essentially". ;)

18. jay_gatz

Great idea for storage, do they make any other finishes?

Angelo85 likes this.
  19. jay_gatz

A Blue Blade dispenser to fill up the empty spot in my British Aristocrat #66 Case:

BlueBlade.jpg

The Bullet Tip with the Guiding Eye arrived today, in fine shape I might add, looked better in person than in the eBay listing. Not bad for $24.50:

GemBullett1.jpg
    GemBullett2.jpg
    GemBullett3.jpg

And the solid copper Zenith scrubby boar. That's a short loft! In the glass of water in the fridge as we speak:

Zenith1.jpg Zenith2.jpg
    Zenith3.jpg

brit, jimjo1031, Dave in KY and 5 others like this.
  20. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

Yes it comes in 3 different finishes as well as different images on the lid to choose from.

jay_gatz likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.