The Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Aug 3, 2017.

1. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

3D381BF0-2AA0-4CE3-95F0-FDDBCF3F5D9B.jpeg
    SOTD MONDAY MORNING, MAY 9, 2022

Victor Creazzi Shorty 7/8 (Mug) and Durham Enders Speed Shaver (Noggin)

TestDepth, Karl G, Steve56 and 2 others like this.
  2. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

That looks like a LARGE bevel! Or am I seeing it wrong? LOL

Karl G and jgreenepa like this.
  3. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

What would be a good starter stone(s)? I have read synthetics are good due to all the grit being the same level (a 12,000 can have some 3000 grit in it with natural?)

4. jgreenepa

The bevel is the blade edge itself, Gary. Vic forge welded a piece of 1095 steel to the SanMai pattern-welded block comprising the body of the blade. He builds his bevel on the forge welded 1095 piece.

Karl G, DaltonGang and Hogie like this.
  5. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

OK. I know I saw a defined edge there and thought it was the bevel

6. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Continuing to use that Filly edge from the new kiita, very enjoyable face feel from that stone. Cream was SMN lathered with a Zenith knot set on an Oscar11 handle. A splash of Myrsol Agua Balsamica finished up a perfect shave. Good stuff today.

E1C6BFB5-D994-4EA5-9E65-0D24FE420051.jpeg

brit, TestDepth, jgreenepa and 2 others like this.
  7. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

jgreenepa, Karl G and Hogie like this.
  8. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Oops, lol.

I did just acquire my pal Matt’s 50mm Swedish Dteel Iwasaki for a great price. It’s been honed once I think. This is a nice kamisori.

B7951D23-2805-4F09-9CE8-F0EA33A8E6AB.jpeg

brit, TestDepth, jgreenepa and 2 others like this.
  9. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

Very Nice!

jgreenepa and Karl G like this.
  10. DaltonGang

You sure you want to play around with that thing? Those Kami's can get quite sharp. I tell you what, because I am looking after your safety, I think it would benefit you to send it to me, so I can keep it safe from hurting you. :cool:

11. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I want one! Of each!
    Clip.jpg Clip_2.jpg

brit, DaltonGang and Steve56 like this.
  12. DaltonGang

jgreenepa, Steve56 and Hogie like this.
  13. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I would never pay what they want for something like this. Just nice look at and drool over. I would never buy a Cadillac either. Some look like artwork! I like the spines. The gold is just plating. I would most likely destroy something like this trying to sharpen it! Not for me!

Last edited: May 10, 2022
    jgreenepa likes this.
  14. jgreenepa

I’m always amazed at the sheer breadth of your collection, Steve! Just a gorgeous Filly!

Steve56 likes this.
  15. jgreenepa

I’m a fan of A. Witte razors, and for $12 couldn’t go wrong. I also happened across another Swedish steel Iwasaki for an unbelievably low price. Both will require some love. The Witte on the scales and the Iwasaki on the blade. F44F77EC-8E7F-4C99-89FB-1804249245C3.jpeg 6E405070-D2B8-4EC5-A9EE-0854CE9870F3.jpeg

Last edited: May 10, 2022
    Hogie, brit, TestDepth and 1 other person like this.
  16. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Thank you Jeff!

jgreenepa likes this.
  17. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

The Manhattan chopper that had trouble taking a finished edge below 18 degrees was up today, and it shaved fine. Post shave inspection though, showed an apex that was more ‘chewed up‘ and bits missing that you shouldn’t see on a razor with one shave. I could go for a higher angle, but probably the best use for this razor is as a scale donor.

Cream was SMN lathered with a SOC Mistura, and the AS was La Toja Manantiales Hombre.

864E124B-4E8B-4C92-A3CF-31EBBD38716D.jpeg

TestDepth, DaltonGang and jgreenepa like this.
  18. jgreenepa

I’m sorry your Manhattan Cutlery razor didn’t work out for you, Steve. Those old wedges can be tricky. I have a Manhattan Cutlery razor that David Work restored that’s one of my favorite vintage razors. Just a magnificent shaver!

7C631A13-DAD8-4C3F-AE9F-33A4C4D985B0.jpeg

DaltonGang, Hogie and Steve56 like this.
  19. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Thanks Jeff,

There’s no telling what some of these old razors have been through, possibly de-tempered by buffing? Maybe not hardened or tempered correctly originally? Who knows. I have a ‘restored’ Hoshi Tomo that’s similar, I suspect that it was also abused and lost the ability to hold a proper edge.

jgreenepa and Hogie like this.
  20. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

Some of the old razors for sale on ebay really show a hard life! Finding good things there has become like finding a needle in a haystack. I found a couple good ones but, it looks like many are jumping on the bidding so, these will get crazy. I back away from that insanity. It's the "Gotta Have it" crowd fighting for a trinket that you are up against and if not careful you will pay 4 times the value of that razor. I know when to back away.

On another note, I stopped at my cosin's house and he does not have my grandpa's straight or any of his razors. The person who ended up with them probably sold or tossed them! So, I will find no family heirlooms.

jgreenepa likes this.