The Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Aug 3, 2017.

1. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

So am I

2. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

Cape Japanese Swedish Steel
    cape1.jpg

Billyfergie, AGHisBBS, Spyder and 5 others like this.
  3. mrchick

Billyfergie, Spyder and Kokak like this.
  4. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

5. M14Shooter

There is always another razor tomorrow.

6. M14Shooter

Wade and Butcher 6/8 th's Washington Razor
    wbwr.jpg

7. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Got a couple inbound:
    First up is a Joh Engstrom Swedish frameback. Never had a Swede nor a frameback, so killing two birds with one stone, so to speak.

Second is a Yamada 6/8. Don't know anything about this, but the price was right and I was just impulsive:)

Both look like they'll clean up nicely. Hopefully they'll hone up without too much problems.

IMG_1591.JPG IMG_1592.JPG IMG_1630.JPG IMG_1631.JPG

8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Nice duo, Keith! I think you'll find that each of those razors to be made of high-quality steel that should yield a great edge off the hones! :happy088:
    Re: framebacks— a slightly different 'face feel' than your typical hollow-ground razor. Some people have claimed they feel more similar to thin-bladed shavettes, but I don't agree on that description.
    Considerably closer to a standard SRs than a shavette due to the far thicker blade used on a frame back.

9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

After numerous failed attempts over the years to land one on auction, I finally succeeded in winning an actual DePew 'The Perfect Razor'—and at a reasonable price. I've seen these quickly escalate to $150+—and in only fair-to-average condition. For about a third of that price, this monkey-tail razor needs a little TLC. I've not seen one of these with stamped/gold painted scales—all models have had solid black horn scales. Many DePews that do come up for sale are often horribly worn (excessive hone wear) into a misshapen blade. There's evident wear on this blade, but nothing extreme or unusual for a razor of this vintage.
    One of those unique straights I've had my eyes on for a while! :)
    [​IMG]

10. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Nice! I know @DaltonGang has a monkey tail. The blade etching is still nice and deep. What's the date range on those??

11. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Also; don't poke yer eye out using that thing :D

12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

William H. DePew (NYC) bought the patent design for the 'monkey-tail' design of the 'perfect' razor in 1882 (stamped onto the tail of each DePew). The blades were made in England and it appears he either sold the rights or allowed some makers to use the design (or they did so ignoring his patent or beyond the expiration). Hence, @DaltonGang 's Bengall as well as some other makers.
    I'd place the majority, if not all, the DePews in the late 1800s range.
    [​IMG]

13. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I like my Bengall Monkeytail Razor. It has little wear, looks great, and only cost a few dollars. Bengalls were, and are well respected razors, and are of the highest quality of the 1800's razor manufacturing. So, that being said, I would snag another Monkeytail, in a heartbeat, if the price was right.
    Here is a thread I started on them.
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/monkey-tails-show-and-tell.55452/#post-1238525

Keithmax, Billyfergie, Kokak and 2 others like this.
  14. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I've got this Gold Dollar on its way to me.

[​IMG]

Spyder, Keithmax, M14Shooter and 3 others like this.
  15. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

I have a W59 due in tomorrow...

16. mrchick

Today's haul[​IMG][​IMG]

George X, Spyder, Keithmax and 6 others like this.
  17. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

OK, so not a str8 acquisition; but I had to have a vintage scuttle. Well, how can one get a vintage scuttle without getting a vintage (unused) brush?? This should make a nice addition to the den :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Illinois Strop, adoration straight, diamond paste, and a swaty.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

19. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Holy bucket o razors, Batman !!!!!

AGHisBBS, Kokak, Billyfergie and 2 others like this.
  20. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Follow up to my posting above (#129): The DePew razor arrived the other day and I decided to remove the scales as they were not original and were poorly pinned.
    This allowed me to do a little blade, tang and tail cleaning (mainly black rust and some pitting removal) of diminutive DePew 'The Perfect Razor." I'll make some new scales for it based on the original type of black horn scales these razors had.
    Little razor with a big tail. Here's a side-by-side comparison of the DePew with a more traditionally-sized Red Imp blade.
    Depew_Imp.jpg

George X, Keithmax, AGHisBBS and 3 others like this.