Second Shave better than First??? DE

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by chillaz0, Jan 22, 2012.

1. chillaz0

chillaz0 New Member

Hi,
    Ive been shaving with a DE for about a month now. I've noticed a trend, my second shave on a new razor is better than the first.

Do razors need to be 'broken in'?
    Or is this perhaps me just getting used to a particular blade? (im going through my sample pack)

2. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I'm guessing it's a combination of technique improving + blades since you're going through a sampler. I've never had to "break in" a razor, but I have had to adjust my own technique to fit the razor since it was different than others I've used. IE - 38C -> DE87 -> 37C....they all react differently and I can't treat them identically.

3. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

No. Razors are not broken in. Some mechanical items do require a break in but not razors.
    I think you are referring to blades. Now blades are a different matter.
    Some blades smooth out and are better after the first shave but not all blades behave this way.
    It may be that you have encountered some blades that smooth out and are better performing on shave 2.
    My preference of blade characteristics is smoothness first, sharpness and longevity tied for second and price third.

Now I will hand you a piece of advice that concerns zeroing in on a particular blade to develop technique. You may have seen the 30 day rule in other threads, if not then here it is.

Find a razor, then a blade that will not cause issues with your face (that may take a few different blades in a sampler to find a suitable choice or it maybe the first out of the gate) and select a soap or cream that is easy to generate good lather. Once you find those, spend 30 days using nothing else until you build up your technique. After 30 days, change one and only one variable and work for another week. At that point you should be able to make better decisions because your technique is now in place.

Good fortune!

Paulie likes this.
  4. chillaz0

chillaz0 New Member

Your right i meant blade* not razor. I had not heard of the 30 day rule. i will give that a try, thanks!

in terms of blade characteristics what exactly is blade smoothness?

5. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Smoothness is just as it is stated. It is the fact that when you shave, you will develop no small bumps, little weepers, irritation from a razor. I am not talking about nicks, although a rough blade can go so far, but you should not be shaving with a blade such as that.

Reference this article to see a blade with the edge and how deterioration can affect smoothness.

http://gizmodo.com/5472426/razors-under-a-microscope

This edge will not be smooth due to the irregular surface along the edge.

[​IMG]

A smooth blade will leave your face feeling like you shaved with butter instead of a blade.

I hope this helps.

6. chillaz0

chillaz0 New Member

ah gottcha, in your opinion which blade companies produce the smoothest blades?? im off to read that link now!

7. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

It's almost impossible to say. Some blades people find smooth as butter shred my face, and some that I love to death aggravate others. Your best best is to go through sampler packs and find what works for you; and if others pop up available, just toss 5-10 blade packs in with your order here and there to test out some new brands.

Paulie and GDCarrington like this.
  8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

That is the correct answer. Blades in my opinion are by far the number 1 item of variation as far as the number of reviews and responses that I have seen on all products. What works for me, may or may not work well for Justin, yourself or many others. The fact that there are still so many blades and manufacturers left in the DE field (though shrinking) is a testament to that reality.

Now if you want to know how blades reacted with me, review this thread and the link on the first post. Again read the caveats in the link...

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/de-blade-challenge.24881/

Good fortune.

9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

10. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Ive had a few blades that are better 2nd time round, Astra sp's work great for me from the first shave and are cheap, but it will vary from person to person, due to hair type, skin type and the angle of the blade, and also getting your technique down, my shave compared to when I started are better, quicker (but by no means rushed:), i finnish when I finnish).
    the 30 day rule is a great way to make sure you are getting the most out of your razor and blade combination and well worth doing before you buy 100+ of any one type of blade.

11. skyfox12

skyfox12 Active Member

I have experienced this phenomenon myself. Usually I experience this with my Dollar General Blades, I believe made by Dorco, and a couple of Zorriks I have used.