The Barbasol Shaving Cream Travel Can Experiment - Sensitive Skin

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by sdguero, Oct 16, 2017.

1. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

The amazing lasting power of the Barbsol travel size! I'm going out on a limb and predicting no less than 40 shaves!

Paul Turner, ilts and sdguero like this.
  2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

40ish?

ilts, AGHisBBS and sdguero like this.
  3. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

Shave #16 10.30.2017

Pre-shave: hot shower
    Shave Cream: Barbasol Sensitive Skin travel size can http://theshaveden.com/forums/threa...m-travel-can-experiment-sensitive-skin.57755/
    Razor: Schick Krona
    Blade: Personna Red (2)
    Post-shave: Dickinson WH, Nivea Sensitive PS Balm, Skin Bracer AS

Another late in the day shave after taking care of grunge chores at the mother's-in-law house. I came home, cracked open a beer and enjoyed a nice shower and shave. Of course, I'm still working through this travel size can of Barbasol. I again used a golf ball sized dollop, which I've found during this experiment is enough to provide me with enough lather for 2 complete passes, and some extra for clean-up details. I've mentioned this before, but I'll reiterate that I really like the scent of the Sensitive Skin. I identify it as a Sandalwood scent.

As to my razor, I opted for my second Schick Krona, a recent acquisition and first-time to use in a shave. While I liked my first Schick Krona (which has a silver TTO knob), I always found it a little "aggressive" and usually ended up with a little bit of blood spilled. This Schick Krona, however, was a pleasure to shave with. This razor didn't draw any blood and left me with a CCS.
    IMG_1550.JPG

4. sdguero

Hmmm... I'm not convinced it'll get up to 40. I'm thinking we're at the halfway point, so maybe 30.

The can definitely feels lighter in weight compared to a travel size can of Original I have, but maybe by about half. We'll see. I have one more day for a face shave. Starting Wednesday, I'm letting my beard grow (I promised the wife). But I'll be shaving my head, at least periodically. I'm going to follow the same guidelines as I've been doing for the face shave.... a single golf ball sized dollop. Should I need more for additional protection I'll add from a big can of Barbasol I have. I'll keep to the goal of the experiment which is to determine the approximate number of shaves possible with a 2 oz travel can.

Ijustmissedthe50s, ilts, RyX and 2 others like this.
  5. sdguero

Shave #17 10.31.2017

Shave Cream: Barbasol Sensitive Skin travel size can
    Razor: Schick Krona
    Blade: Personna Red (3)
    Post-shave: Dickinson WH, Nivea Sensitive PS Balm, Barbasol Brisk AS

When I started this experiment to find out how many shaves would a travel size can shave... or something like that... I really thought we'd be finished by the end of October. Afterall, the travel size deodorants and tooth paste tubes I've used do not last nearly as long. Well, we're still going strong with this Barbasol can. Another golf ball sized dollop was all I needed today. Although this can is clearly feeling lighter in weight now, it hasn't give me any of the obvious clues it's about to throw in the towel, e.g. spitting, sputtering or wheezing. Starting tomorrow, I'm not doing face shaves in November. I have promised my wife for many years that when I retired I would grow a beard. She loves facial hair and beards. I retired at the end of June. I let it grow for a couple of weeks in July, then started shaving except for my chin area. Then the itching got so bad, I negotiated and she agreed to wait until November. So, November will be No-Face Shave-November for me.

Nevertheless, I will continue to do head shaves during November, at least a couple of times a week. So, I'll continue with the experiment as we move into November. Yet, with head shaves I may need more shave cream than a single golf ball sized dollop. So, my plan is to continue to use a single golf ball sized dollop from this travel size can. If I need more cream because of the greater shave "acreage" of my scalp then I'll augment with a back-up can of Barbasol. In this way I can control the amount of product is used from the experimental can and ultimately determine how many face shaves the travel size can will provide.

Finally, the only way to describe today's shave is SMOOTH.... The Krona, loaded with the Personna, performed well. The Barbasol shave cream continues to provide a slick layer of protection for 2 complete passes and touch-ups. Very satisfied with a close, comfortable shave.

Happy Halloween, everyone!
    IMG_1559.JPG

6. sdguero

Shave #18 11.01.2017

Head Shave Only:
    Shave Cream: Barbasol Sensitive Skin travel size can http://theshaveden.com/forums/threa...m-travel-can-experiment-sensitive-skin.57755/
    (augmented with Barbasol Soothing Aloe)
    Razor: Schick Krona, metal silver knob
    Blade: Personna (4)
    Post-shave: Dickinson WH, Gillette AS Gel, Gillette Cool Wave AS

I'm letting my beard grow this month so no face shaves... unless the itching gets so bad that I beg my wife to allow me to shave. Since this travel can is still in the game, I'll continue to use it for head shaves.
    I again used only a golf-ball sized dollop from the travel can to start out, which I have found is plenty enough product to protect my face during 2 complete passes and some clean-up. This was plenty to lather my entire scalp and provide protection for that first pass. However, as I suspected, I found I needed more for an additional pass and clean-up. So, I called for back-up and the Barbasol Soothing Aloe arrived to lend support.
    I pulled out my first Schick Krona and loaded with the Personna blade I've been using this week I had a very close, comfortable shave. I did nick my scalp slightly but that was completely my fault. I got careless for a split second... but that's all it takes. Have a great month everyone!
    IMG_1570.JPG

7. sdguero

Shave #19 11.2.2017

Head Shave:
    Pre-shave: Hot Shower
    Shave Cream: Barbasol Sensitive Skin travel can + ( :bath: ) audience discretion is advised
    Brush: Omega Boar 10049
    Razor: Schick G1
    Blade: Chinese Schick (5)
    Post-shave: Dickinson WH, Afta Fresh AS Skin Conditioner, Aqua Velva AS

As a reminder, I'm not doing face shaves this month, however I am doing head shaves. This travel can is still hard at work providing lather for my daily shaves. I never thought it would go this far even... it's a two ounce can of lather. Travel toothpaste tubes don't last this long. Travel mouthwash doesn't last this long. Travel deodorant doesn't last this long.

In previously shaves, I found that a single golf ball sized dollop of the Barbasol was enough for me to do 2 complete passes for my face shaves, plus some clean-up work. So, acting as if I'm still only having to cover my face shaves, I'm still only using that single dollop. However, I have a big head. At least now, I have more square "footage" to shave compared to my face so yesterday I augmented this travel sized can with a shot from a big can of Barbasol Soothing Aloe. Today... well, some may say, I molested the Barbasol. It depends upon one's point of view. In my view... I enhanced the capability of the Barbasol, and yes, I would even say... the quality of my shave.

So, I had a great shave, and this travel sized can continues to amaze me! If you wish to see what I did today with the Barbasol you may go to this link.... however, be aware, the content may not be suitable for all audiences. :)

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/the-adulterated-barbasol-thread.57857/page-3

IMG_1580.JPG

8. sdguero

Shave #20, yesterday's shave of the day 11.3.2017 (no shave today)

Brush: VDH badger
    Lather / Cream: Barbasol Sensitive Skin travel can + Cremo Lathering Cream Sandalwood http://theshaveden.com/forums/threa...m-travel-can-experiment-sensitive-skin.57755/
    Razor: Pal injector
    Blade: Chinese Schick (3rd or 4th use I believe)
    Post-shave: Thayer's WH, Afta Original AS Skin Conditioner, Skin Brace
    Again, this was only a head shave. I opted to enhance the Barbasol with Cremo Lathering Shave Cream (Sandalwood scent). The Cremo, if you work it, will turn into a respectable lather. When I added a golf ball sized dollop of the Barbasol it because a slick, yogurt-like lather which felt good on the scalp. It felt cool, hydrating, and the sharp blade slid over the skin like skis on the slope. I hope everyone is having a great weekend!
    IMG_1594.JPG

Cremo Lathering Shave Cream only....
    IMG_1588.JPG

Barbasol Sensitive Skin + Cremo....
    IMG_1591.JPG

9. RyX

RyX DoH!

That's a good looking lather. I just might try mixing up some Barbasol Arctic Chill & Cremo Cooling. Going to be in the 80's here on the South Coast through Tuesday.

Bama Samurai, sdguero and ilts like this.
  10. sdguero

Let me know how you like it. I have Cremo Cooling but I can not find Arctic Chill around here. That may be because it's already cold here. Snowing right now... not a lot but snowing. Highs in the mid 30s til Tuesday and the lows at night... well, much cooler. Enjoy those 80s!

Bama Samurai, ilts and RyX like this.
  11. RyX

RyX DoH!

I got my Menthol Monday on with the Barbasol/Cremo combo. Between Arctic Chill and Cooling, a damp bowl and brush I didn't need additional water until my third pass. I mixed it up, applied lather, and thought about it being time to swap a fresh blade into the DE. Turns out I had a nearly fresh one in. By the time I had the blade seated and cap back on the double dose of menthol was working well. Lots of residual slip and a pleasant scent. If I haven't used this combo before, I'll certainly do it again!
    Thanks for the inspiration (Dan?) @sdguero!

AGHisBBS, Bama Samurai and sdguero like this.
  12. sdguero

Yes, it's Dan.

You're welcome. Glad you enjoyed it! :signs021:

AGHisBBS, Bama Samurai and RyX like this.
  13. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

It really is something how many you can get on the go from little Barbasol.

14. sdguero

Shave #21 11.6.2017

Head Shave Only:
    Shave Cream + Soap: Barbasol Sensitive Skin travel size can + Scalpmaster Shaving Soap
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threa...el-can-experiment-sensitive-skin.57755/page-2
    Brush: Cremo (by Vie-Long) horse hair
    Razor: Schick E3
    Blade: Schick (1)
    Post-shave: Assured WH (from Dollar Tree), Nivea Men's Crème, Brut AS

This is Shave #21 for this travel size can of Barbasol, i.e. 21 days or three weeks of shaving so far on this 20 oz can of Barbasol. And still no sign, other than lighter in weight, that it's about to throw in the towel. Today, I combined a golf ball sized dollop of Barbasol with Scalpmaster shaving soap which I got from Sally's Beauty Supply. This soap by itself is so-so at best, but with the help of Barbasol the combined lather was terrific! The witch hazel was the first time out. I saw it at Dollar Tree and it's quite nice. Not bad for $1 and it's a nice 6 oz bottle.

Have a great week, my friends!
    IMG_1611.JPG
    IMG_1602.JPG

EnglishChannel, AGHisBBS, RyX and 2 others like this.
  15. sdguero

Shave #22 11.8.2017

Head Shave Only:
    Shave cream + soap: Barbasol Sensitive Skin travel size can + Proraso Red
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threa...m-travel-can-experiment-sensitive-skin.57755/
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/the-adulterated-barbasol-thread.57857/
    Brush: Omega Boar 10049
    Razor: Schick E3
    Blade: Schick (2)
    Post-shave: Assured WH (from Dollar Tree), Nivea Sensitive PS Balm, Proraso Sandalwood AS

This is Shave #22 for this travel size can of Barbasol. Today I combined a single, golf ball sized dollop of the Barbasol with the Proraso Red and the resulting lather was exceptional. While I've used Proraso many times, it often times dries out on me especially during my head shaves when I'm going slowly and carefully. However, today that didn't happen. The Barbasol cream has a Sandalwood scent, but the Proraso scent dominated. I managed a very close, comfortable shave and I wish the same or better for all of you.
    IMG_1627.JPG

16. sdguero

Shave #23 11.10.2017
    Shave Cream: Barbasol Sensitive Skin travel size can http://theshaveden.com/forums/threa...el-can-experiment-sensitive-skin.57755/page-2
    Razor: Ming Shi 2000s aka Futur Clone
    Blade: Wilkinson-Sword (1)
    Post-shave: Thayer's WH, Nivea PS Balm, Skin Bracer

Again, I'm only doing head shaves this month, but not everyday. I continued to use a single golf-ball sized dollop from this travel can, which normally is enough for me to do a face shave. However, I didn't combine the Barbasol with any different shave products, except for its Big Brother can of Barbasol Sensitive Skin. I used another golf-ball sized dollop from the big can so I could do a second pass with some clean-up considering the issues I had to slow down with this new razor.

I received this razor in the mail a week ago today, and my original intent was to wait to use when I start on face shaves again. I couldn't wait.... but, I should've waited. Brand new-razor-to-me and trying to do head shaves wasn't the greatest idea. I had trouble finding the right angle to shave, especially shaving the back of my head. I started out with the setting at 1/2. Then I moved it to 1. Then I moved it to 3. I just went slow and carefully and ultimately got a DFS without any injuries. I knew better. I've never shaved my head with a razor without first getting comfortable with in on face shaves. I really like the razor. I think it will be a favorite of mine, but the weight and design and figuring out the correct adjustment is different from what I'm used to and I should've been patient. Live and learn.

I hope everyone has a great weekend!
    IMG_1630.JPG

EnglishChannel, ilts and RyX like this.
  17. sdguero

Shave #24 11.11.2017
    Pre-shave: Hot Shower
    Shave Cream + Soap: Barbasol Sensitive Skin travel size can + Williams Mug Shaving Soap
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threa...m-travel-can-experiment-sensitive-skin.57755/
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/the-adulterated-barbasol-thread.57857/page-3
    Brush: VDH Boar
    Razor: Gem Micromatic Clog-Pruf
    Blade: Gem Blue Star (4th or 5th use)
    Post-shave: Assured WH (Dollar Tree), Neutrogena Sensitive Skin PS Balm, Aqua Velva Musk AS / Cologne

Very pleasant shave this day. I'm continuing with the head shave only.

I really like this Barbasol + Williams mix so I did again. Travel can of Barbasol is still going strong!

God bless our active duty serviceman and woman, and our veterans!
    IMG_1649.JPG IMG_1632.JPG

18. sdguero

Shave #25 11.13.2017
    Head Shave Only:
    Pre-shave: Hot shower
    Brush: Omega Synthetic Hi-Brush (not pictured)
    Shave Cream x2: Barbasol Sensitive Skin travel size can + Cremo Cooling Shave Cream
    Razor: VDH TTO razor
    Blade: Wilkinson-Sword (2)
    Post-shave: Assured WH (Dollar Tree), Nivea Sensitive Cooling PS Balm, Skin Bracer by Mennen

This little travel can is on Shave #25 and it's still going! I continued to use only a single golf-ball sized dollop from this can to determine how many face shaves are possible with it. Since I'm not face shaving in November, and I'm doing only the occasional head shave, I need more shave cream than the amount for a face shave so I'm reinforcing the Barbasol with other products. It's been fun. Barbasol plays well with other shaving soaps and creams... http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/the-adulterated-barbasol-thread.57857/

Today I returned to my "roots," i.e. the razor which started me on this path of wet-shaving. It was like going home! I hope everyone else's shaves are as good.
    IMG_1654.JPG

19. sdguero

Shave #26 11.16.2017

Head Shave Only:
    Brush: Omega Synthetic Hi-Brush
    Razor: Gillette Tech
    Blade: Wilkinson Sword (3)
    Post-shave: Assured WH (Dollar Tree), Nivea Sensitive PS Balm, British Sterling AS, British Sterling Cologne

Now, every time I pick up this Barbasol travel can to dispense a dollop of lather I'm expecting to hear some sputtering, or have some spitting occur indicating it's about to throw in the towel. But noooooo.... still no signs it's about to stop. Maybe next time? Since I'm only doing head shaves this month I've been "augmenting" the single golf ball sized dollop from the travel can with another product, either a soap, or cream or even another can of Barbasol. Today, I reinforced my lather with the travel can's big brother.

Three days since my last head shave, and I haven't shave my face since October 30th. I was digging around in the back of a bathroom cabinet shelf looking for my Norelco shaver (to start trimming the beard) and came across the British Sterling bottles. I completely forgot I even had those so I used them today. Great shave today... DFS. Have a great week everyone!
    IMG_1671.JPG

20. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Barbasol is pretty amazing! Not just alot of shaves per can...but a real quality cream aswell!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    Bama Samurai, sdguero and ilts like this.