Van Der Hagen??

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Birdie, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Birdie

Birdie Active Member

I was walking the local Wal Mart and seen. Van Der Hagen shave soap set. I have read a lot of posts on here, I don't recall seeing one about this brand. After looking on the net, I have seen they make razors as well. Does anyone have any comments on this brand?

2. Luteplayers

Luteplayers Well-Known Member

I think you will find that a lot of us first got into/back into wet shaving with VDH products. I have developed quite a number of soaps, but still use the VDH in the rotation. I still use the blue/green bowl to build lather at my other house, so I don't have to carry a scuttle/bowl up there with me.

Bristle Me likes this.
  3. Birdie

Birdie Active Member

I am interested in trying it out. I have been using AOS products. I want to expand my den Or as much as SWMBO will let me. Looks like and headed back to pick it up. What did you think of the bore brush? Right now I am using badger. How much different can it be?

4. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

image.jpg I use everything in the set. If you get one get the one with the brush stand. The mug alone is worth the cost. Also you can get a badger brush in some sets (see pic)

5. geeeyejo

geeeyejo Active Member

Got the cheaper set with the boar brush. Didn't care for the soap but the bowl and brush are very nice. Using for two weeks now - will likely get a nicer brush some day but very good for now.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  6. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I use it a lot.
    L to R : Avon Mesmerize Shave Balm, Van Der Hagen Luxury Shave Set, WD 30/65 Silver Tip Brush,
    Weber 3pc. Razor With 85mm "Classic Handle" Avon Mesmerize After Shave

. 100_0248 (640x480).jpg

7. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I think VDH is everyone's first brand. Mine was the $9 set. I still have the brush from that, and their more expensive badger brush. VDH's soaps are competent.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  8. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

There are hundreds of discussions about the VDH line of soap and brushes on TSD but, if you are asking specifically about the VDH razor some previous discussions can be seen:
    HERE
    HERE
    HERE
    and
    HERE

9. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Never used the stuff. The soap does like appealing.

Omelmad likes this.
  10. Adonis

Adonis Well-Known Member

VDH was my first "kit" :)

PatrickA51 likes this.
  11. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

VDH me too.
    My kit had a synthetic brush in it though...
    Never got along with that thing.
    About 4 weeks ago I gave it a hair cut and installed a nice new boar knot
    from TGN. Now it works just fine.
    I've stocked up on the Deluxe soap (which is one of my favorites) and I still use the blue/green bowl.
    For $9.00, I can't say it was a bad start.

12. Birdie

Birdie Active Member

Lots of good info you fine folks, as always. Time to o some shopping!

13. ILove2Shave

ILove2Shave Member

I bought just the soap at my local walmart since I could get it "immediately" no ship time (I am notoriously impatient ), Lathers fairly nice for me,, keep in mind i'm inexperienced and use a "economical badger brush" so your mileage may vary greatly. I am not crazy about the scent but it is not unpleasant by any means just not one I am in love with. I do have some Barrister and Mann on the way and cant wait for it to get here :)

14. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

My VDH is the deluxe set, it is my only brush as far as the black bowl it is in my rotation I will be using a combo of VDH & Arco soaps in it next. Take care.

15. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

I started with the VDH set and still have all the pieces. Never used the soap as I prefer creams, but the bowl is still in rotation with my Omega boar.

16. Mr. Shaverman

I still have the bowl, but I always thought it was too narrow and deep to lather with. For me anyway. So I use it to hold my three brushes. It's about the perfect size.

17. Birdie

Birdie Active Member

So I went out and about the deluxe VDH set (bowl, soap, brush, and stand), and the VDH razor. So far all I can say is that I am not a fan of the boar brush or the blades. After using the brush twice I went right back to my badger. The "ice tempered" blades have got to be the worst. I swapped out the blade for a Gillette silver blue and now I can I like the razor. Works just as well as my 67 SS.

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  18. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I got the deluxe and the luxury sets. Since I face lather, the bowl and apothecary cup are used for loading only. I just dressed up my boar brush. Will be using VDH deluxe sc and VDH brush tomorrow.
    sod140702.jpg

Bristle Me likes this.
  19. Mr. Shaverman

Yeah, the blades are fairly terrible! I believe they're Dorco's, which are your standard, "Hey it comes with a free blade!" blade. Many other fish in the sea.

20. angrygio698

angrygio698 Member

I have the vdh blades that I bought from Walmart and the package says blades are made in solingen Germany so they are definitely not dorcos. I actually got great shaves from the blades using HTGM symmetry razor