Injector & SE Party !!!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bird Lives, Apr 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicked

Nicked Well-Known Member

I picked up most of the alphabet except the repeaters and the FEM marketed models, don't have the E1 or E5. I've contemplated letting them all go except the D and F, D's my favorite geometry of all of them, feel the E's are close and way easier to find.

GAW9576, PLAla and Billyfergie like this.
  2. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Aye..I Kinda Regret Selling My Schick Type D & Type F..They are Superb Shavers for Sure..Both of Em..:)

Billy..:chores016:

GAW9576 and PLAla like this.
  3. Nicked

Nicked Well-Known Member

The F started me on the injector kick, on looks alone, even if it were a lousy shaver, which it isn't, I still would keep it. LOL. Feel you on straights, I've been all over the place, Shavettes are my current fav with a bias to the hair shaper blade format.

GAW9576, Billyfergie and PLAla like this.
  4. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These are the Only Two SEs I Use these Days..I Would Never Sell Em..Both are Full Hollow Grind SEs..The C.V Heljestrand is Probably the Most Superb Safety Razor Ever Made in My Humble Experience..I Have Had Just about Every Other So Called Lather Catcher Hollow Ground SE Ya Can Mention,,But this One is the Dogs Danglies..:D

A Properly Honed Blade is Paramount with Em..I Hone My Own Blades the Same as My SRs..:kar:

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
  5. Nicked

Nicked Well-Known Member

:shocked003:WOOOOOOO! like the guide/holder for the hone. I have a few wedges and an E.R. stropper, got one to a workable state but it's still not as good an edge as a GEM in an adapter. Those wedges look down right wicked.

6. Billyfergie

Aye they Get Called Wedges in SE Circles..But..They are ALL Actually Full Hollow Ground Blades..I Dunno where the Wedge thing Started Getting Flung about..There is Actually No SE that Uses a Wedge Blade..Its Not Semantics Neither..:happy088:

7. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Schick adjustable, vintage Schick Twin blade, shave 4
    M2.jpg

After using an 80s adjustable time to compare against a 70s style one since the guards didn't line up the same on the highest setting. The 80s style one which is undesignated but identifiable by the all plastic handle without stickering had more gap about 3 clicks more than the 70s style seen here when fully opened up. This one is also known as a M2 and like the 80s style adjustable was also designed to use these twin blades. Those 3 clicks more of adjustment do make a difference in aggressiveness but not the overall finish. There might be more of a discrepancy in finish using single edge blades but that is for another day. End result BBS finish achieved and both adjustables have out performed the N1 with a twin blade so far.

Next I want to try this twin blade in a 60s style adjustable which was not designed for using twin blades and see how well it works wide open.

I am also going to tenatively say these vintage Schick Twin blades are even better than the modern Japanese Schick II twin blades in that seem to have a sharper edge.

More on the Type M adjustables
    https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/schick-type-m-injectors-for-dummies.64180/

jimjo1031, GAW9576, BigD and 6 others like this.
  8. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

The E5 razors are nothing more than a black handled version of the same movable spring style E1 or E2. The E1 is not the most rare Type E. The most rare Type E and black handled E5 version of it is one that is the first iteration of the E2. It has the same guard as an E1 but with the E2 spring. The E1 was produced for a little over a year from December of 1935 until around January/Feburuary of 1937. The first iteration of the E2 was only produced for about 6 months in 1937 before they changed the guard to the single lather channel and yes it shaves differently from an E1 or the other E2 variants.

https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/schick-type-e-injectors-for-dummies.63548/

thread with E1 and other injector timeline dates
    https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/schick-injector-updated-information-addenum-thread.62800/

GAW9576, Droo78, Leo K. and 2 others like this.
  9. Electrif

Electrif Well-Known Member

Another 3D GEM razor to come from the design talents of Roger Quintero. One piece, resin printed. Some of you may recognise the handle design.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    With the blade it looks awesome.
    [​IMG]
    Shame, I just shaved with my Triceratops so I'll have to wait a couple of days to use it.

jimjo1031, ischiapp, GAW9576 and 9 others like this.
  10. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Actually it depends the grind. A hollow ground the blade cross section is concave. A flat or straight grind the sides of the blade are straight giving the cross section a wedge shape.
    Pictures are from wikipedia
    Blade_geometry_and_nomenclature.png

Full explanation quoted from wikipedia
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straight_razor

"The combination of the types found in these two classification categories can, in theory, lead to a wide variety of blade types such as round point hollow ground, square point flat ground etc., but in practice some points are combined with a specific grind. As an example, a French point blade is usually flat ground.[5][40]
    [​IMG]
    Degrees of hollowness. From left: Extra hollow (singing blade), 1/1 Hollow, 1/2 Hollow, 1/4 Hollow, Concave Wedge, Linear Wedge

A hollow grind produces a thinner blade than the flat grind because it removes more material from the blade (hollows or thins the blade more). The hollow-ground blade flexes more easily and provides more feedback on the resistance the blade meets while cutting the hair, which is an indicator of blade sharpness.[13][43] Hollow-ground blades are preferred by most barbers and some high-end razor manufacturers limit their production exclusively to hollow ground razors.[19][13]"

Attached Files:

Ron R, GAW9576, PLAla and 1 other person like this.
  11. Billyfergie

I Have Honed All these Variations of Grinds on SRs..Hundreds & Maybe Thousands..I have Never Seen a Single Edged Wedge Blade..Every SE Blade I have Seen & Honed was a Full Hollow Grind..Thats what I Said or Meant..I have Honed Hundreds of these Alone..:happy088:

Ron R, GAW9576 and PLAla like this.
  12. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I agree it is not a commonly used grind method anymore.
    Dovo has a good explanation of when and why the straight grind aka wedge was used.
    https://www.dovo.com/en/ratgeber/differences-in-straight-razors/

"Flat Grind
    Straight razors with a flat grind are often called a “wedge” type ground straight razor, such as the DOVO No. 42. Its characteristics are rigidity and torsion-resistance. You will often find this grind on narrow straight razors to allow very precise shaving. The most traditional types of straight razors were ground only with this profile because technical possibilities of hollow grinding were not available. Nowadays, this grind is rarely used for full-face shaving. However, it offers advantages in combination with a narrow straight razor for precise shaving work. "

GAW9576 and BigD like this.
  13. MPF9

MPF9 Well-Known Member

Sat 5th December

RR Syn 22mm
    Arko stick- grated
    Schick N3
    Schick S/S Twin-Japan ( 8 )
    Tuff Red A/S Lotion

You would have to be extremely unlucky or careless to have anything but a great Shave with an N3. Specifically designed for use with a Twin Blade, it is one of my favourite Injectors.

jimjo1031, Ron R, Jayaruh and 7 others like this.
  14. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

I tried out the second Schick C1 yesterday. It was an excellent shave.

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

Electrif, MPF9, jimjo1031 and 7 others like this.
  15. 120inna55

120inna55 Well-Known Member

Barrister and Mann | Fougère Gothique
    Island Bladeworks | Bullwinkle | TGN Finest
    Durham-Enders | Enders Speed Shaver
    Schick Proline B-20

[​IMG]

16. brit

brit in a box

stunning set up and pic Matt..truly professional..:cool:

120inna55 likes this.
  17. 120inna55

120inna55 Well-Known Member

Aww shucks. Thank you, sir.

GAW9576 and brit like this.
  18. Electrif

Electrif Well-Known Member

Sunday 6th December
    GEM 3D SE by Roger Quintero
    GEM SSC #1

[​IMG]

19. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    [​IMG]
    Lather Catcher Sunday's Shave
    [​IMG]

Cold Water Rinse
    Proraso Green Tea and Oatmeal Shave Cream
    B-400 Badger by Tom
    1907 Gem Jr. Lather Catcher
    Personna GEM SS PTFE
    CWR
    Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve Cologne

The Proraso Green Tea and Oatmeal Shave Cream face-lathered well with B-400 Badger by Tom. Two passes and touch ups with the 1907 Gem Jr. Lather Catcher razor with a Personna GEM SS PTFE blade gave me a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse I finished off with Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve Cologne. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

20. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

Today's choice was the Red handled Treet. Love the handle but the shave quality isn't on par with its Gem and Ever-Ready counterparts. Still an interesting razor to have in the collection.

IMG_20201206_102542644.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.