Schick Type G injectors for dummies

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BBS, Jan 17, 2020.

1. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

The aim of this thread is to categorize the Type G razors in a way that is easier understood for the average collector so as such I will not being using Appleby's designations other than the Type G label to describe them at all. They will be presented in chronological order with the variations that differentiate each from the other. This breakdown only covers US made Type G injectors. There were 2 unique Canadian made versions with black handles that won't be covered here.

Type G razors come in 4 distinct variants. Some variants came with various different handle styles but are the same razor just different handle regardless of the set. Regardless of variant what makes a Schick injector a Type G is that they were the first razors produced by Eversharp after they took over the Schick brand from Magazine Repeater Company in 1946. The distinguishing feature of all Type G razors is they feature 2 patent numbers on the razor handle 1806087 and 1969945.

The first variant was produced in 1946/1947. It is distinguished by the fact it has a squared ferrule and the spring says Schick Injector on it. The razor was only produced in an ivory / cream colored handle style.
    G1a1.jpg

The second variants were produced between 1947/48 and 1952. It is distinguished by the fact the ferrule is squared except for Style 2 and the spring says Eversharp Schick on it. This razor came in various handle styles.

Style 1 - ivory / cream colored handle.
    g1b.jpg

Style 2 - produced in a special Christmas set for 1946 and 1947. It is distinguished by the fact the ferrule is rounded, the handle is the only one made of metal and the razor was completely plated in 14k gold. Also known as a G2.
    1947adhg2.jpg g2a.jpg g2b.jpg g2c.jpg

Style 3 - gold plated handle produced only in a special Christmas set in 1948 and 1949
    This razor is also known as a G3 and what differentiates it from the Style 2 G2 is the ferrule is squarish. Ads from 1947 and 1948 show the difference in ferrule styles also. Also known as a G3.
    1948adg3.jpg g3.jpg

Style 4 - Chrome head and navy blue handle. Only sold in a set called the Schick 66 between 1948 - 1951.
    g4.jpg

Style 5 - gold head and navy blue handle.
    g4a.jpg

Style 6 - turquoise colored handle
    g5.jpg

Style 7 - amber colored handle
    g6.jpg

The third variant was produced in 1953 and 1954. It is distinguished by the fact it has a circular ferrule and the spring says Eversharp Schick on it. The razor was produced in an ivory / cream and possibly other colored handle styles.
    g1c1.jpg

The fourth and final variant was produced between 1954 - 1957. It is distinguished by the fact it has a circular ferrule and the spring says Eversharp Schick on it. The handle style changes to a ribbed design and was only produced in an ivory / cream color.
    G8a.jpg

I need to add a separate section for Canadian Type G injectors. These shave nothing like their American counterparts being much more aggressive and shave more like an American Type E3 than an American Type G. These were produced from 1946 - ?? but is assumed no later than 1954 when they switched to ribbed handles since no Canadian versions are known to exist with this handle.

Canadian Type G injector
    CG2.jpg

Last edited: Aug 21, 2022
  2. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

3. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I wasn't originally going to go into these but since I have pics might as well document them here.

Besides the American versions there was 1 unique Canadian version of the Type G that wasn't produced elsewhere. What makes them unique is their black handle.

Standard Type G style spring and black handle.
    G1nospring.jpg

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    Ron R, CarlfromMO and brit like this.
  4. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Also a note on the Schick 66 sets since they tend to be popular with collectors. They were sold between 1948 and 1951 and were the lower priced option set to the standard sets called Deluxe sets. Besides the packaging and amount of blades offered being different, they had the same razors except the 66 only came with a chrome plated razor and blue handle while the Deluxe sets had the gold plated razor heads with various color handles.

schick66.jpg

Here is an example of an incorrect set, you'll find plenty like these on your favorite auction site.
    schick66wrong.jpg

Here is an example of a correct set. It has the chrome plated razor head and blue handle.
    schick66correct.jpg

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
    brit, CarlfromMO and Droo78 like this.
  5. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

I wonder if there is any difference regarding aggressiveness with the G types? Has anyone tried them all and can comment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

3 shave types.

1st variant Type G aka as long as the spring says Schick Injector is the least mild of the bunch. These would also be known as G1 razors.

2nd and 3rd variants regardless of razor head or handle style, the springs will all have Eversharp Schick on them are all the same and less mild than the 4th variant. These are also known as G1, G3, G4, G5 and G6 razors. Though not designated the gold plated razor head with navy blue handle should technically be called a G7 for completeness sake using that naming convention.

4th variant with the ribbed handle also known as a G8 is the most mild of the Type G razors.

If you are collecting razors to have the different styles that is 11 razors to buy. If for usage then 3 maybe 4 razors covers all the different types of shaves they can do when loaded with the same blade.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    Leo K. likes this.
  7. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

Thank you very much! This is immensely helpful!!

brit likes this.
  8. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Better explanation of how to tell a G2 from G3 and also proves that the G2 shouldn't be a different variant so the amount of variants have been updated in the main post along with the style listings for the former 3rd and now 2nd variant Type G razors.

ad from 1947 clearly shows the razor known as a G2 with a rounded ferrule so that is the visual feature to look for. They also came with a solid handle but that is impossible to tell from a picture unlike this. Also of note this proves they switch the springs to Eversharp Schick by 1947 as can be seen.

1947adhg2.jpg
    g2a.jpg g2b.jpg g2c.jpg

Now the G3, this ad from 1948 clearly shows the ferrule as a squarish shape.

1948adg3.jpg

g3.jpg

Look at the ferrule and you know which one it is.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
    brit likes this.
  9. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

To add to this that is not a one off but just one of those different color handle offerings like you see on the American 2nd variant Type G razors.

These are your standard colored handle and gold plated razor head Canadian Type G razors. All the Canadian Type E and G injectors say 1937 Canada for the patent on them. How many years they produced these I do not know but would assume from 46 - ??. Whether they belong as their own variant or lumped in with the American Type G razors is unknown to me at this point and time. I'll update the thread accordingly once I have one in hand to use.
    CG1.jpg CG2.jpg

brit likes this.
  10. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I love the various marble-like swirls of depth in some parts of the plastic made handle of this G8. I didn’t expect to see that when I bought it and it arrived. This type is more beautiful then I anticipated.

brit likes this.
  11. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

To update this the Canadian Type G is indeed it's own separate variant since it shaves differently from the 1st and 2nd variant Type G razors. It is by far the most aggressive Type G razor out there. It is some between the Type E3 razors American or Canadian and the American Type G 1st and 2nd variant razors as far as aggressiveness goes.

brit likes this.
  12. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

To add here are some up close pics of one of the rariest I know of injectors, a 1946 metal handle Type G razor. These were only produced in 1 known production run for Christmas of 1946 and unknown if a second production run was done for Christmas of 1947 or not.

tg1.jpg tg2.jpg tg3.jpg

As can be read on the handle and rounded ferrule.

handle reads

1/20 14 K.G.F.SHELL HANDLE WEIGHTED

ferrule reads

ALL OTHER PARTS GOLD ELECTROPLATED

brit likes this.
  13. ShaversRUs

ShaversRUs Well-Known Member

I have what I believe to be this, but the ferrule is cylindrical with a flat top, and doesn't look like any pictured. Is it the same thing?

Mine looks like this:

s-l960.jpg s-l16002.jpg

Also, your similar post on B&B numbers the variants differently. Does this one here take precedence?

I'm trying to catalog what I have, and I thought I was making mistakes when I was double-checking, then I realized each time I googled, I was hitting a different forum.

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 18, 2023
  14. ShaversRUs

Will a 1st variant G be milder than a Type E with the grooves on the safety bar (6th variant)?

I do want to get the Cary Grant razor pictured in my Avatar -- I thought I had it but as I said mine is from the 50s, not 1948 when the movie was released. Also, Cary's could be variant 1 or 2.

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 22, 2023
  15. ShaversRUs

I am enjoying my G, and I wonder if another G variant would be even better. That being said, I have a bunch of other Schick letters I haven't even tried yet.