Schick Type E injectors for dummies

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BBS, Jan 16, 2020.

1. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

It is. It should be the same as it's American counterpart.

brit likes this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

thank you ..

3. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I love my Schick E. So which one do I have?
    2FDE65A0-F1FB-4AFA-894E-114EDDC05FC7.jpeg

brit likes this.
  4. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Jim99 and brit like this.
  5. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I pulled my #4 varient out of moth balls yesterday, inspired by this thread.

Glad I did!

This one is from a WWII Red Box Military Issue. Definitely not as aggressive as my #3 varient..and I don't have a #5 varient to compare it to...This razor is probably my smoothest, most effiecient injector PERIOD!

TKS for inspiring me to dust it off. This is gonna be a daily user for awhile[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

KenBB, preidy, Electrif and 2 others like this.
  6. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

The shaves are done and the results in.

First delineation, I found that I got the best shaves out of the fixed spring razors so variants 1, 2 and 3 are on the back end of the best shavers. I will say variant 3 is the most aggressive of the lot. The black handle razors are the same as the onyx-composition handles for each accompanying variant.

Onto the fixed springs first observation the better shaver of the ones commonly called E2 razors was the 4th variant. Both gave BBS finishes except for one trouble spot under my chin that is where the 4th variant jumps ahead of the 5th variant. 4th variant was also more aggressive while the 5th was more mild but almost equal in performance due to it being very efficient.

Now onto the best shaver of the lot which was the 6th variant commonly called an E3 razor. This razor is the same shave wise as the 5th variant but has one performance tweak that pushes it over the top. The striations on the guard bar really do work as advertised and allow for a closer cut to the skin as it stretches it. That one tweak to the design made the 5th variant from a very good razor to a great razor and also why it is it's own variant.

7. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Bravo! Nice work BBS!
    I'm sure you enjoyed every stroke. And this information should guide and illuminate the path for future "Schick-Heads" for many years to come.

This should; along with your other Schick Types for Dummies threads; be made into stickies and saved for posterity!

Thank You for your dedication and attention to detail.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

KenBB and brit like this.
  8. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Update new pictures added of the black handle 1st variant to the first post.

9. Electrif

Electrif Well-Known Member

Thanks @BBS for pointing me to this thread.
    Now I know much more about my recent acquisition.
    [​IMG]
    Canadian E - 6th variant E3

10. brit

brit in a box

fine canadian set..i love my canadian e 2..

KenBB, mvd and jimjo1031 like this.
  11. Electrif

Electrif Well-Known Member

Shaving with it tomorrow Gary. Looking forward to that.

12. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

13. 2whluge

2whluge New Member

Many thanks for the work put into this. I think I have everything identified except the model shown here. It has a Bakelite handle and a different pattern on the head. Rather than the raised “horseshoe” on all the other E’s, this one is flat and stamped in.

I started with injectors when my wife gave me a WW2 Navy set as a gift. I’ve since mixed the razors up. Could this variant be the military model?

Attached Files:

14. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Those spring designs IIRC only showed up on some of the 4th variant fixed spring razors. I never bothered to mention the variation since far as I could find they don't provide any different functionality to classify it as it's own iteration and it is not useful for dating the razor either. Frankly I doubt it would increase it's value or collectibilty for the same reasons. The important piece of the spring is the front piece that holds the guard it in place. Every time that changed so did the functionality.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
  15. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

I can’t tell you how appreciative of your work I am BBS. Thanks a million!

I have my holy grail razor (for sentimental and aesthetic reasons) - the Schick E2 with the spring that opens.

Could you clarify for me what variant this is exactly? 2nd variant of the open spring type?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

16. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

You have the second variant with the split lather guard channel.

17. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

Thank you BBS!

18. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Hey! Who you calling a dummy?

Herm

19. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I should have answered this also, short answer it is impossible to know unless you have a full set with the injector key. First thing to look for if you have a full set is the injector key jet black then make sure it is in case like this.
    mset1.jpg mset.jpg

Those darker color cases are either late 41 or 42 onwards they don't have the 2o year guarantee on the back usually and if they do they won't have a date associated with the guarantee. To be fully correct they will only have the 6th variant i.e. the E3.

The ones prior to that will be a tan color like this or reddish color and have a 20 year guarantee with a date associated with the guarantee. Depending the year will determine if the razor is correct to the set or not.
    mset2.jpg mset3.jpg

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
    brit likes this.
  20. 2whluge

2whluge New Member

Thanks for the update. Yup, I have the black injector key and the dark blue case. I'll identify the E3 and put it all together. Thanks again!